How do things REALLY turn out when you make the brave decision to relaunch your career? Do things actually end up working out? Or does leaving behind a stable career end up coming back to bite you? In this very special 50th episode of Career Relaunch, I’m excited to welcome back Kelly Cara to the show. Kelly was my very first guest when this podcast launched back in Sept 2016, and she was voted by listeners as the guest they most wanted to hear from again.
We’re going to check in with her to hear how things have actually turned out for her since she made the decision to leave her job behind as an educational researcher in Springfield, Missouri to become a nutrition researcher, educator, and health-supportive chef in Austin, Texas after finishing culinary school. We’ll talk about doing work you love, the impact of money on your choices, and when to move onto the next chapter of your career . . . even if you’ve just recently made a change.
Key Career Insights
- After you make a leap once, it becomes easier to make another leap in your life because you will have built up that muscle.
- When you’re feeling motivated to do something, it’s important to take an action that seizes on that motivation because you may not have a similar level of motivation down the road.
- There’s more to wealth and richness than how much money you make. The richness of your life is also driven by the fulfillment and satisfaction you gain from the work you’ve chosen to dedicate your energies to.
Tweetables to Share
- Kelly referred to Robert Frost’s poem, The Road Not Taken.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I challenged you to reflect on one of the ideas you’ve been thinking about pursuing and really reflect what sort of benefit it could have on your career, life, and people in your life. Make a list of the potential impact it could realistically have on your physical health, your mental health, your family life, your personal & professional growth, even your friendships.And there may be some negatives.
About Kelly Cara, Wellness Educator & Vegan Chef
Kelly Cara is a nutrition researcher, educator, and health-supportive chef passionate about promoting whole-person health and wellness through nutrition and lifestyle habits. She’s currently pursuing a graduate degree at the Tufts Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy where her main research interests involve the impact of food processing – from raw foods to ultra-processed foods – on overall health. Kelly is a contributor to the Friedman Sprout online newspaper where her articles highlight the challenges of accessing and choosing nutritious and health-promoting foods. She is dedicated to environmentally responsible and humane living, sustainability, and generosity.
Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Kelly know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
Comments, Suggestions, or Questions?
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Thanks to Audible for Supporting Career Relaunch
Thanks to Audible for supporting this episode of Career Relaunch. Audible is the premier provider of digital audiobooks, offering over 180,000 audiobook titles for listening anytime and anywhere on your favorite device. Career Relaunch listeners can download a free audiobook download and get 30-day trial at audibletrial.com/careerrelaunch.